The Rowan County Softball team picked up two more wins this past weekend. The Lady Vikings go in to 61st District play tonight with a 6-0 record as they host Menifee County.
Rowan County 14, Paintsville High School 3 (5 innings)
On Friday, March 25 at chilly Lady Viking Field, RC defeated the Lady Tigers from Paintsville 14-3 in five innings. Junior pitcher Meghan Hammond went the distance to pick up her third win in 2016. She struck out five, walked two, and allowed three earned runs on five hits. Other highlights include:
- Sophomore third baseman Kammy Rose went two for three with three RBI in the game with a stand-up triple to right field;
- Senior first baseman Kendra Holbrook went three for four with four RBI including a double driven deep to the left-center fence;
- Freshman Macy Jones went three for four with three RBI;
- Sophomore right fielder Sarah Hallock went three for four with one RBI;
- 8th Grade shortstop Brooklin Adams went two for three with one RBI;
- Freshman second baseman Emily Hammonds went one for three with two RBI.
Rowan County 11, Raceland 5
The last time the Lady Vikings won a game on the Raceland Lady Rams field was May 16, 2002. That changed on Saturday when RC went on the road and defeated Raceland 11-5. Junior pitcher Jayse Pennington picked up the win with three strike outs and six walks. She allowed five earned runs with seven hits.
Freshman left fielder Savannah Hamilton came up big in the win with a double to left center. She went two for three in the contest and tallied four RBI. Other highlights include:
- Rose went two for four with two RBI;
- Jones went one for three with two RBI;
- Adams reached base on a Raceland error in the fifth inning and brought in two RBI on the play.
“It was nice to go there and finally get the win” said Coach Larry Slone.
61st District play begins tonight at Lady Viking Field as RC hosts Menifee County. The Lady Vikings host Bath County tomorrow.
Photos by Nick Hammonds